Monday, August 2, 2010

Mental Vitamins: Get Your Shine On!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear
is that we are powerful beyond measure.
It is our light, not our darkness
that most frightens us.
We ask ourselves, who am I
to be brilliant and gorgeous,
talented and fabulous?
Actually who are you not to be?
You are a child of God.
Your playing small doesn’t serve the world.
There is nothing enlightened about shrinking
so that other people
won’t feel insecure around you.
We are meant to shine.
We were born to make manifest
the glory of God within us.
It is not just in some of us: it’s in everyone.
And, as we let our own light shine,
we unconsciously give other people
permission to do the same.
As we are liberated from our own fear,
our presence automatically liberates others.

-Marianne Williamson

I have always been more of an introvert...my nickname in high school was "shy girl". I have never liked to be in the spotlight, I preferred to blend in and even go as far as to hide in the shadows so as not to be noticed. And I love these words from Marianne Williamson because I have experienced this sort of "liberation". I feel in recent years I have had an inner transformation that has generated an outward alteration. I am still as imperfect as I have always been but I am more comfortable in my own skin because I have an understanding that God loves me AS IS. He sees through my flaws and He loves me unconditionally despite great faults.

Once I became aware that my insecurities were holding me back from my true purpose here on earth, which is sharing God's love with others and being a living example of His love, I have experienced my self-doubt disappear and be replaced with strength. No, I don't think I am special or wonderful, or great but my Savior IS. And that gives me something to smile about, to shine about, to live to tell about. I no longer feel the need to try and be perfect because I know I can never be and that is not our purpose in life. Our purpose is to love like Christ.

I always had this idea that being a Christian meant I couldn't let others see me make mistakes or fail because if I was weak how would that reflect on the One I was trying to represent? But now I see that it is how I handle my mistakes, how I respond to challenges and how I seek Him through it all that makes the difference. I can unashamedly say that I don't have it all together, I don't have all the answers, but I serve the Lord who does. And by admitting that, I don't have the same fears I once lived with. Fears of being judged by others, fears of being misunderstood, fears of being hated or making mistakes. Instead, I have a humble sense of courage that has been ignited by hope, trust and love. I still live an imperfect life but I strive to better myself each day and I no longer live in constant fear.


My heart's desire is to show others that if God can love someone like me...then His love is abundant enough for you. In fact, all He wants is to love us. Nothing makes Him happier. What an unbeatable compliment...WE make GOD happy! :) Just by letting Him love us.

So the next time you feel less than worthy, or that you don't have what it takes...know that you ARE enough....to the one who matters...to God...you are perfectly imperfect and you were created to SHINE! So get your shine on! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment