Monday, June 27, 2011

A Simple Prayer

We just returned from our weekend trip to Italy. We had an absolutely wonderful time and I will share stories and photos later in the week but I did want to share a quick highlight from the trip.

One of our stops was in Assisi, Italy and we visited St. Francis Basilica. It was such a beautiful church with so much history. Unfortunately cameras were forbidden inside so I was unable to capture any photos to share, but what I was able to take away and share with you is the famous prayer spoken by St. Francis himself.

A Simple Prayer

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.
Where there is hatred .... let me show love.
Where there is injury .... pardon.
Where there is discord .... unity.
Where there is doubt .... faith.
Where there is error .... truth.
Where there is despair .... hope. 
Where there is sadness .... joy.
Where there is darkness .... light.

O Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek
To be consoled .... as to console.
To be understood .... as to understand.
To be loved .... as to love.

For
It is in giving .... that we receive.
It is in pardoning .... that we are pardoned.
It is in dying .... that we are born to eternal life.

-St. Francis


This is also my heart's prayer.

I will share more about our adventure to Italy soon! Hope you all had a fabulous weekend too!

No comments:

Post a Comment