Friday, May 28, 2010

'Feature Friday': Goodbyes

Jared and I will be moving in with my parents at the end of June because our lease is up and we don't move to Switzerland until the fall. We're looking forward to being with family before we head overseas but we're not looking forward to the packing up and moving part. But because of us moving next month and so much going on between now and then (a family wedding, a family cruise, family photos, packing, etc.) ...my last day of work was this week.

So this week was full of goodbyes. I HATE goodbyes! There is nothing more sad or more awkward than goodbyes. I have had to say goodbye to a lot of people lately but by far the hardest to say goodbye to was my sweet elderly folks. I have been the leader of an elderly support group for the last 2 years and have grown attached to these sweet people I call friends.

We went out to a local restaurant for lunch together and then they planned a going away party with dessert, music and gifts. They each wrote individual cards with sweet words of love and encouragement to me along with a necklace from the blown glass studio we visited together as a group a few weeks back. So sentimental and so thoughtful! My boss announced that it was my last day and that her daughter would be replacing me and one gentleman stood up and said "Now, I don't think Leah can be replaced!" and that was when I lost it. I started crying instantly. I was barely able to thank them and tell them how much they all meant to me because I was in tears. I wish I could take them all with me...but I know that in a way I will. They will forever be in my hearts and because of that...they will be with me wherever I go.



I am so thankful for the opportunities I have had during my time here. I have been blessed to have made friendships with truly wonderful people. Irreplaceable people.

I don't know how I'm going to be when I have to say goodbye to my family when we actually move to Switzerland this fall. I mean if I got this worked up over people who aren't blood relatives...I'll be a ball of tears, no doubt. But I'm not going to think about that now. I'm just going to enjoy every moment we have together! Starting tomorrow. We are having our family photos taken by my wonderful and talented friends, Brandon and Katie of Bungalow Photography. I am beyond excited! I will be sure to post those pictures! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment