Monday, May 17, 2010

'Mental Vitamin Mondays': Life Lessons

"The difference between school and life - In school you are taught a lesson and then given a test - In life, you are given a test that teaches you a lesson."

My husband graduated yesterday with his PhD in Chemistry from the University of Illinois. (I couldn't be more proud of him!!!) Now, when most people hear that he is a Chemist and now, that he holds a PhD in chemistry their first reaction is always the same "Wow! He must be smart!" And the truth is: he's more wise than he will give his own self credit for - but he's not just book smart or simply well-educated in a specific field - he is such a knowledgeable man in general. He loves to be intellectually challenged and that is what drives him to learn more and why he has such a wide range of knowledge. Although, he is also a very humble man and probably hates when I brag on him like this, but I can't help it - I'm just a very proud wifey! :)

I, on the other hand, am NOT book smart - I survived college and made it out with a bachelor's degree. I was more of an average student - not at all a stand out student like some. But I've always felt like what I lacked in the realm of textbook knowledge, I made up for in my knowledge of people. I am a pretty good judge of character, I can read people fairly well and I'm good with people - in other words I can interact with people of all types of backgrounds, education levels and personalities. My social skills, I guess you could say are at a PhD level. :)

But no matter how educated you are there is nothing that can prepare you for some of the things life will throw at you! Whether it is losing a loved one, being let go from your job unexpectedly, an unplanned pregnancy, a difficult person's attitude...whatever the situation you may be facing, you may not feel prepared to deal with it but know that you always have the answers to life's tests - the answer to all of life's questions is to seek God first. He has all the answers so wouldn't it be wise for us to ask for His guidance in our everyday lives and for every difficult situation we encounter? It's not as easy as it sounds - we want answers NOW, we don't like to wait on God and we don't want just any answer we usually want Him to confirm our own answer. Our plan does not always match up with God's plan but remember His own words: For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. -Jeremiah 29:11

I recommend we stick to His plan...it may not make sense right away but eventually we see that He works the all together for good!

No comments:

Post a Comment