Tuesday, May 18, 2010

'Q&A's Tuesdays': Musical Memories

I get asked all the time "What kind of music are you in to?" So for this 'Q&A Tuesday' I decided to dedicate this entire post to this one question. Because I have such an eclectic taste and so many artist that I love, my list would be endless so I tried to come up with a way to narrow it down. I love different songs for different reasons and like to listen to certain artists when I'm in different moods. What I love about music is not only the freedom it provides, but also how a single song can be directly connected to certain memories or moments in time.

 A single song can awaken those memories and seem to take you back to that moment so that you can relive it all over again. Here are a few of my music memories...


1. At Last by Etta James is quite possibly my all time favorite love song. I remember hearing this song when I was driving in my car at age 16 and saying to myself "I will one day dance to this song on my wedding day with my husband because I know this is exactly how I'm going to feel." It was our first dance as husband and wife and it was magical.

2. How To Disappear Completely by Radiohead has an instant calming effect on my soul.

3. Ben Kweller makes me want to put on a sundress and cowgirl boots and dance where the grass grows knee high.

4. My husband taught me that techno can and should be listened to in broad daylight.

5. Billie Holiday has a legendary voice that makes me wish I grew up in her era.

6. Tom Petty was my very first concert. Lawn seats. Summer of 1999. Those were the days.

7. I remember vividly the first time I heard Sigur Rós...I was sitting in my hotel room in Italy when I was 18 and the music video for Svefn-g-englar came on the television. I remember being glued to the set. I'd never heard anything so awe-inspiring. I was instantly a fan.

8. Listening to Blessed by Brett Dennen is such a great way to start the day.

9. No matter what is going on or what mood I'm in, I can't help but feel happy and full of life when I listen to Bob Marley.

10. When I hear any sort of latin or salsa music, I have to dance. It's intrinsically necessary.

11. The Flaming Lips have an intergalactic/hippie/whimsical sound that I just can't get enough of.

12. The sounds of Jeff Buckley are hauntingly beautiful. I can get completely lost in his music.

13.The first time I heard Radiohead I remember thinking "I want more of this!" I can honestly say that they have changed my life.

14. Iron and Wine is meant to be heard while driving down country roads in the afternoon with the windows down.

15. Coldplay's album, Parachutes, will always double as a tribute to the summer I met my husband.

16. My recent musical addictions: Jónsi, Tinashé, Late Night Alumni, Taylor Swift, Sleeping At Last

17. Josh Wilson electrifies my spirit and strengthens my soul.

18. I fondly remember the days of mixed tapes.

19. I grew up during the "boy band" phenomenon and can proudly say I didn't buy into it.

20. The world would not be the same without The Beatles. It would be hard to imagine for me anyway.



I'd love to hear some of your music memories.....leave them in the comments below or shoot me an email!

1 comment:

  1. I was always a Supremes wanna be. I loved all their songs and would sing along with their hand motions alone in my room. Yes, I was obsessed. I still enjoy all the Motown sounds and I almost got sucked into the recent infomercial.

    ReplyDelete