Tuesday, June 29, 2010

'Mental Vitamin Mondays': Companionship

Today I want to talk about Companionship. It is closeness, familiarity, fellowship, friendship, intimacy. And it is something we all desire and need. For those who may not know...my husband and I started out as friends before we really dated. We were friends for 4 years before we said "I do" and for me, our friendship (and our faith) has been the foundation upon which our relationship was built. When I married Jared, I sincerely married my best friend.

All of those words I used in the first paragraph to describe companionship are words that describe my relationship with my husband. I have been beyond blessed since the moment Jared came into my life and this past week really strengthened my feelings about how dynamic our love is. Like many, I can get caught up in everyday life and there are days where I fail to stop and really revel in the fact that I have been blessed with a truly amazing companion to enjoy life with. But this week, I was able to slow down and really appreciate what God has gifted me.

We spent the full week on a cruise together with our family and because my husband and I met on a cruise (or as I like to say "we met in the middle of the ocean") almost 7 years ago, we both couldn't help but re-live those moments and our journey together since then. Little did we know back then that we would one day be on another cruise together but this time as husband and wife. As we thought back to how God had personally orchestrated every last detail of our relationship, we both realized how lucky we are to have each other.

My favourite part of the trip was the incredible conversations I had with my husband through the week. The 40 hour round trip drive for this week's vacation may sound painful and long to some but for me...it was awesome. I wasn't trapped in a car...I was lost in conversation and laughter with my favourite person in the world. Companionship is not about having someone there simply so you won't have to be alone...it is a pure appreciation for the company of the one you know has made your life better just by being in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment