Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Review: Christmas Cookies

It's that time of year where baking LOADS of cookies is completely acceptable and half expected! :)

Growing up, my family LOVED to bake cookies and other sugary goodness for the Christmas season. One of our family favourites were Buckeyes, commonly known as Peanut Butter Balls. I loved helping make these traditional sweets with my mom, brother and extended family of aunts and cousins. I loved dipping the peanut butter balls into chocolate...I never dipped mine very much though...the peanut butter was my favourite part! :)

I also loved icing different shaped sugar cookies. We would dye white icing in nearly every color of the rainbow and have cut outs in the festive shapes of Christmas trees, angels, stars, candy canes, stockings and more. My mom always went all out and provided extras like sprinkles and other candy toppings to help make each cookie unique and special. It was a fun family tradition to decorate all those Christmas cookies together.

I found a recipe for Buckeyes and other Christmas cookie recipes at Christmas-Cookies.com.

Here are just a few of my personal favourite cookies. Most of the recipes can be found on the above website or at AllRecipes.com but if you have better recipes...please send them my way! :)

1. Oatmeal Raisin


















2. Snickerdoodles













  
3. Samoas












4. Raspberry White Chocolate Macadamia














5. Iced Sugar Cookies


















Happy Baking & Happy Holidays! :)


*all images from google search

2 comments:

  1. I loved "Cookie Baking Day" and Nana & Pappy's. As soon as I would walk into 419 Deerfield, their house would smell of baking with the big Christmas tree twinkling in front of the bay window and Pappy asleep in his chair (again). The dining room table would be filled with tins ready to be packed and passed out as gifts to the neighbors. Chocolate Crinkles were my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! And all the laughter and chatter while we enjoyed our fresh baked cookies! Some of my fondest memories were in that house.

    ReplyDelete