Friday, February 4, 2011

New Books & Modern Myths

I had ordered a couple books from Amazon last month and living overseas means that things take much longer to ship than they would in the U.S. but I FINALLY received my books today and I am so excited to read them!
The first book is Unplanned by Abby Johnson which is the former Planned Parenthood Director's own story about how witnessing an ultrasound guided abortion on a 12 week old baby along with her own abortions changed her life and gave her a new perspective on Life itself. I cannot wait to read it and share it with you. I've heard Abby speak on several different occasions and she is truly an inspiring woman and is also a very active and respected pro-life leader.
The other book I got is ProLife Answers to ProChoice Arguments by Randy Alcorn. It addresses many of the common arguments and excuses people use to defend the act of abortion. I've been deeply involved in the pro-life movement for the better part of my life and have come across so many people who try to excuse away the truth - which is that abortion kills a human life. You wouldn't believe the excuses I've heard and I'm sure other pro-life advocates hear all the time. This book is designed to prepare you for when you are faced with opposition so that you are ready and armed with the truth. I've already begun reading it and it uses the same approach that I personally use and feel is best when discussing this issue with people - it shares the truth in love. It sticks to the facts and leaves the judgment out of it.
I have shared a lot of pro-life information and links over the years to family and friends as well as on my blog, facebook and other social outlets to help bring awareness to the issue of abortion as well as encourage others to rise to action. This week I wrote a blog post and shared videos and links about the recent undercover videos released by LiveAction.org and also circulated a petition to stop funding for Planned Parenthood. I was encouraged by the number of positive responses and support by friends and family members but equally surprised by the number of times I heard the following statements; "Planned Parenthood also does good" or "If it weren't for Planned Parenthood I wouldn't be able to receive medical care". Literally dozens of people made these claims...some of who boasted to be "against abortion" and some who I believe have good intentions but are being grossly deceived. Let me break down the logic here....
In the past, sweatshops existed which created various products and marketable goods by using young children as slave workers in some of the harshest conditions, many of whom were victims of abuse. Sure these sweatshops may have produced some great merchandise, but they achieved this by abusing children. Would we defend this? Would we use their services knowing full well that our patronizing means we are enabling, encouraging and supporting this form of child abuse? I would hope the answer would be "No" across the board. Labor laws have since been put in place to stop this kind of injustice. 
So why then would we support and defend an organization who makes the majority of their money by the intentional killing of innocent human beings? Planned Parenthood is in the business of abortion. Sure they provide other services but whatever "good" they do should not and cannot overshadow the fact that they kill over 3000 pre-born babies every single day and have wounded countless women emotionally and physically by the act of abortion. You can go to www.silentnomoreawareness.com to hear real stories from real women affected by abortion. Abortion supporters like to claim that they "help" women but the reality is they do more harm than good. For those who rely on Planned Parenthood for medical needs please consider that there are other health centers out there where people can go regardless of their personal or financial situation that will hold a higher moral standard when it comes to the issue of abortion. Supporting Planned Parenthood in any way simply means you are indirectly supporting what they do - abortion. 
For those who still want to defend Planned Parenthood, I'll let the numbers speak for themselves. These are charts from Planned Parenthood's own annual report that indicate where they invest their time and OUR money. It's clear that their primary source of income and services are abortions. So their bad significantly outweighs their good.

The fact of the matter is this, my friends, abortion is inexcusable. Science confirms that at the moment of conception a new and unique human being is created. This is not an opinion, this is a scientific fact. And therefor abortion ends the life of a human being. We cannot make excuses for this any longer and we can't sit back idly and do nothing. It is wrong and it must end. The first step in ending it is to stop encouraging it. $300 million tax payer dollars currently fund Planned Parenthood - that is money from you and I - and that means that we are enablers. Enabling in that the majority of Americans are involuntarily involved in this human injustice. Pro-life and pro-choice Americans alike overwhelmingly agree that federal dollars should not be funding abortions. Just because something is legal does not make it right. We have an obligation as Americans, as humans to speak up for those who cannot speak up for themselves. We must stop any and all support of abortion providers, like Planned Parenthood. We must contact our congressman and tell them we want no part of the abortion business. We don't want our money to enable the injustice to continue. Sign this petition to defund Planned Parenthood:
Petition to Defund Planned Parenthood
For those who are interested I will definitely be blogging about the recent books I received once I have had a chance to read them as well as start sharing a series of  pro-life answers to pro-choice arguments. I believe it is so important to know what you believe and be able to defend your beliefs so I want to help others do that.  I will probably start addressing common questions about the issues of abortion in a weekly post so keep your eyes out for that. If you have any questions please feel free to comment or email them to me. As always, thanks for your support and prayers!

No comments:

Post a Comment