Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Review: The King Of Limbs

The King Of Limbs, the latest album from Radiohead, was released last week. My initial reaction....loved it, but I think Kid A is still my favourite album they have produced...it probably always will be. This album seemed to have a balanced blend of some of their past album sounds with a newly evolved sound of their own. I thought the track, Give Up The Ghost, had a slightly more folk feel to it, something we haven't really heard from Radiohead before - it's actually one of my favourite tracks on the album.

I can't sit still when listening to Lotus Flower. I love that the music video is of Thom York doing what he does best - bouncing around with his stellar dance moves. Anyone who has been to several of their live shows knows this is classic Thom York style.  

Feral has a definite dubstep sound with bold bass lines and reverberant drum patterns. I can envision Johnny using the loop on this one. I definitely dig it.

I also enjoyed the steady bass and backward loops in Little by Little.  This track has a more vintage Radiohead sound and it's another favourite for me from the album.

Morning Mr Magpie reminds me of some of my brother's earlier solo stuff. The looping guitar specifically. Good stuff.

Codex has a piano intro that reminded me much of Pyramid Song off their Amnesiac album. Very ethereal. Thom York's voice is absolutely phenomenal in this song. So smooth.

Separator has that soothing, mellow feel that is highlighted by Thom York's amazing voice. It's one of those songs that you can just get lost in. Love it!

There is rumor of  more songs to be released later for those who ordered the newspaper album. Of course I can never get enough Radiohead so I'll be thrilled if that is true, but if not, I think this album is more than satisfying as is! I pre-ordered and am looking forward to getting the newspaper album when it is finally released in May. It is to include 2 vinyl records, a CD and over 600 pieces of artwork. I enjoy their artwork almost as much as I love their music.

Overall, I thought the album was fantastic. Radiohead has done it again. I reeealllly hope they do a European tour this year...preferably somewhere close to us! :) If you haven't given this album a listen you definitely should. If you have given it a listen....let me know what you think!



‘The King of Limbs’ track listing:
1. Bloom
2. Morning Mr Magpie
3. Little By Little
4. Feral
5. Lotus Flower
6. Codex
7. Give Up The Ghost
8. Separator

No comments:

Post a Comment