Wednesday, March 2, 2011

In Bloom

Sometimes I neglect to thank God for all He has given me. I can get distracted by things going on in my life and approach life with a sense of expectancy. I realized this as I was walking home from lunch with Jared on Monday. It was gorgeous outside. The sun was shining, the sky was blue, and I noticed the trees were beginning to blossom. I'd walked this route a hundred times since we moved here but I don't think I'd ever been that aware of my surroundings and just been thankful. The pink buds beginning to sprout and the tiny flowers springing up from the grass made me literally stop my feet, look around, take it all in and say out loud "Thank you Lord for today." Every moment is fleeting. Every day is a gift. And I have been rushing through the days and the moments without fully appreciating them.

It's so easy to get caught up in myself and the happenings going on in the world but rarely do I stop and appreciate - I mean fully recognize - the worth of life and the beauty and wonder we have been given here on earth. I now understand where they coined the phrase "stop and smell the roses." I stopped and did more than smell the roses....I froze and stood in awe of them. To some it may not makes sense or sound a bit out there but it was in that moment that I felt closest to my God. It was as though He was walking right there with me and turned to say "All this is especially for you. I hope you like it." I know He created the world for all of us, but I believe He meant for each of us to consider it our own personal treasure - our own inherited gift from God Himself - passed down from generation to generation. When thought of like that, it makes the world more of a priceless family heirloom that suggests a legacy of love behind it.

I'm certain that the days ahead will sometimes get away from me and my mind won't always be centered but my hope and prayer is that the days I take for granted are minimal from here on out. I no longer want to ignore the details or overlook the triumph of each day. I want to stay close to Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment