Friday, May 6, 2011

Honoring Mothers

Mother's Day is this Sunday, May 8th and while I don't need a holiday to remind me of how much my Mom means to me, I encourage recognizing the value of ALL mothers on this special day. We should honor our mothers not only on Mother's Day, but every day. We are living in an abortion generation and need to recognize that we are survivors, our mother's chose life for us and we should be eternally grateful because the reality is, not everyone is so lucky. Life is the single greatest gift anyone could ever give. Without life, we wouldn't be able to enjoy any of the other gifts that life has to offer. It's a selfless act of giving that deserves appreciation and honor.

There are many women who chose adoption for their children and though they may not be the primary provider for the child, they are still their mother and they should be honored for their compassion and courage. I'm certain it is no easy decision, but sometimes it is the best thing for the child and the mother. Both the biological and adoptive mother are definitely heroes in my eyes.

Mother's Day can be a sad reminder for those who have lost their Moms through sickness or tragedy. But the amazing thing about Moms is that no matter what...nothing...not even death can take away their motherhood and the connection a mother and child have. It's a powerful death-defying love!  And we can continue to love and honor them even after they have passed away.

I realize we live in an imperfect world and that not everyone has a great relationship with their mother. If you have a broken relationship with your Mom, I encourage you to take this as an opportunity to repair that relationship. It's certainly not going to fix itself so take the initiative to work out whatever it is that has divided you this Mother's Day. You will both be so glad you did. Making an effort is an honorable thing to do.

There are so many ways to honor Moms. The best way is to live an honorable life ourselves. We can do that by living a life that reflects our love and honor for her towards all people in everything we do. Sure flowers are nice, thoughtful cards are sweet, but if we want to truly honor our moms we should strive to do so by living honorably each and every day. Another great way to show your love and appreciation for your mom is to donate in her name to a cause that helps other moms, children and families to succeed and grow.

There are lots of excellent places that offer compassionate resources for moms and moms-to-be. Choose a  life-affirming charity and donate your time or money there in her name. Then tell her you did. Share her love, her gift of life to others. I guarantee it will mean more to her than flowers or a fancy dinner. Knowing that she inspired you to love and help others will certainly warm her heart.

Not sure where to give? Here are a few great places that I personally recommend:







To all the Moms out there. Thank you for all you do. You don't get enough credit for you're important role in the lives of your children and in our society. To my Mom....I could never tell you just how much you mean to me and how deeply I love you! THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING! You are the greatest, strongest, wisest, most beautiful, most compassionate woman I know. I love you, Mama Bear!

No comments:

Post a Comment