Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Bavaria, Germany

While my friend Emily was visiting we made a trip to Bavaria, Germany. Ever since I saw a photo of the Neuschwanstein Castle (aka: the "Fairy Tale Castle") which is what the Disney Castle is modeled after, I dreamed about seeing it in person. Well I can now check it off my "bucket list".

We had a beautifully snowy day that made for the perfect setting to see the castle. We also got to see the second castle, Hohenschwangau Castle which was where the parents of Ludwig II lived. We weren't allowed to take photos inside the castles but they are definitely worth seeing both inside and out! The surrounding area was very charming as well. The hotel where we stayed was family owned and we were the only ones there for the night so we had the entire place to ourselves. It felt more like a bed and breakfast because of that or even more like we were in town visiting family because they were so accommodating and friendly to us. If you wish to visit Bavaria I definitely recommend going in the winter season...it truly felt like a winter wonderland.

Standing in front of the "Fairy Tale Castle" with my prince! :)

Neuschwanstein Castle surrounded by snow covered trees

Horse drawn carriage near the castle

Jared and I in front of Hohenschwangau Castle.

View from the castle

Emily spinning for joy in the Bavarian winter wonderland

The partially frozen Alpsee Lake in Bavaria

Restaurant where we had lunch. Loved the German mural.

Jared very excited about his authentic German sausage, potatoes and sauerkraut 

Charming hotel that we had all to ourselves

The hotel restaurant had AMAZING apple strudel! 

Em and I enjoying a German pint back at the hotel

Shopping streets in Bavaria, Germany

Window shopping in Bavaria, Germany

Hohenschwangau Castle all lit up at night

Hope you enjoyed our little mini vacation with us! And I hope you all get a chance to see it for yourselves in person someday! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment