Monday, February 20, 2012

Contentment



"But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. But if we have food and clothing, we will be content with that. Those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs. But you, [child] of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness." (1 Timothy 6:6)

The very first line of this verse leaped out at me. "...godliness with contentment is great gain." Being content does not come naturally to us. It seems to be our human nature to always want more. To never be satisfied with what we have. I could rattle off a list of things I want right now...I want to be home closer to my family, I want to have a car, I want to lose weight, I want a bigger bank account, I want to go shopping...but all I really NEED is my Saviour. And when I quiet my mind and stop allowing myself to get caught up in everyday distractions, I realize He's all I really WANT too.

All of these things we want can never satisfy and bring true contentment like Jesus can. There is a gap in our hearts that can only be filled with His love and grace and when we try to fill that void with other things, like relationships, money, sex, drugs and/or entertainment, we'll never feel fulfilled or whole. That's the beauty of Jesus...He brings fullness...He delivers peace...He supplies everything we want and need. Contentment is found through Him alone.

 We have everything we'll ever need so long as we have Jesus. If we stop trying to replace Him with things then we will find the peace we are ultimately searching for. As my Dad says... "The most important things in life aren't things...you never see a U-Haul follwing a hearse." Which is exactly what this verse is saying:"For we brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it." The most valuable thing we can ever have is our salvation in Jesus Christ. 

Have you found contentment in Jesus? His peace is freely and eternally yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment