Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Review Tuesday: Lee Strobel Series

I love to read. My favourite types of books are those that help me grow in my faith or that are based on true life experiences. For those of you who have been following my blog for awhile now, I have been reading and blogging a series of summaries and reflections on the book Twelve Extraordinary Women by John MacArthur. Well, I discovered a book series that I just can't say enough about. The Lee Strobel books are phenomenal and are entitled The Case For Christ, The Case For The Creator, and The Case For Faith.  Author, Lee Strobel is a self-proclaimed Atheist-turned-Christian who, for many years, was the legal editor of the Chicago Tribune. He was educated at the University of Missouri (Bachelor of Journalism degree, 1974) and Yale Law School (Master of Studies in Law degree, 1979). After his wife converted to Christianity he decided to launch an all out investigation as an attempt to, what he says, disprove that God exists. Through his many years of research and investigation he ultimately came to the conclusion that God DOES exist and his books document his findings and his own spiritual journey.

Lee Strobel has a film collection based on these books and if you are like me, and you are a very visual person, then you will agree that these DVDs are AWESOME! They are all so well done and include interviews and wisdom from respected scholars and theologians. The Case For The Creator gives excellent visual explanations of the important evidence that points to God and for some of us...just hearing the scripture or growing up in church is not enough to base our faith on...we want scientific evidence that there is a God. The conclusions of science-based evidence leaves little room for argument. The facts speak for themselves...science points toward a Creator. This is definitely my favourite in the series. After viewing it it's hard to not be left with a greater understanding and appreciation of our universe, ourselves and our God.

I think the best order in which to read the books or view the DVDs is to start with The Case For Christ so you can get the background of what drove Lee Strobel to start his investigation, what steps he took to start investigating Judeo-Christian beliefs and claims, who he interviewed in terms of historians, scholars and theologians in order to gather the necessary evidence and develop this series. This was the first book in the series so I think it's natural to start there. Then go on to The Case For A Creator and be prepared to be in awe at the complexity and fine-tuning of our world, the intricate details necessary for life to exists and a greater appreciation for the God who made it all possible. The Case For Faith tackles faith-based issues and addresses questions that are potential emotional barriers to faith. I really enjoyed this one as well but like I said, The Case For The Creator is the one I recommend most if you are searching for scientific evidence to back up Christianity. After viewing it I  have a new appreciation for my surroundings, my God and myself.

To quote St. Augustine: "People travel to wonder at the height of mountains, at the huge waves of the sea, at the long courses of rivers, at the vast compass of the ocean, at the circular motion of the stars; and yet they pass by themselves without wondering." We as humans are WONDERFULLY made! And the information provided in this DVD gives us a deeper look into our deliberate, and perfected design. It's really worth checking out!


Here is a sneak peek/clip from The Case For A Creator:

No comments:

Post a Comment