Thursday, February 10, 2011

Things I Love: Castles

During my extended travels I have seen and photographed many castles. I've even had the opportunity to stay overnight in a few. I think inside every woman there is still a little girl who dreams of living in a castle. Perhaps because of all the storybooks and Disney movies. As an adult I have grown to have a great appreciation for these stone fortresses. The history of each castle owner, the rich interior design and the overall beautiful architecture. Every castle is unique but was built for the sole purpose of protection. I am always fascinated by the different castle layouts and how many of them have secret rooms or passage ways. The large rooms and endless courtyards...so many stories that could be told if only walls could speak and trees could talk.

Here are a few of the castles I've toured and/or slept in over the years.


This first photograph is of Dromoland Castle in Ireland. This is one of the castles that have been turned into a hotel and the first in which I have stayed. I was so giddy the whole time. The bed was enormous, the interior was just as you'd expect - rich fabrics and vintage pieces. It was like a dream.

This next photo is of Birr Castle. It is also located in Ireland and is one of my favourites. As you can see it looks like it is right out of a storybook. The castle grounds were just as spectacular.


Another castle that I had the pleasure of staying over night in was located in Scotland. I can't remember the name of it though. My mind is already beginning to slip............


Bunratty is another Irish castle and what made this one memorable was that we ate a traditional medievel dinner there that included giant turkey legs, eating without utensils and pitchers of "mead" which we later learned was sweetened honey wine. We found out because my dad got a little tipsy from it. He thought it was "kool-aid" according to him! HAHA I have video evidence somewhere of him after drinking the mead as well as my mom's experience with "snuff" (it's not chewing tobacco, but similar in color) - which to this day I don't know what it's true purpose is nor how I convinced my mom to try it. I think they may have hidden it in a secret location or possibly even destroyed it but I can assure you that the contents of that tape are PRICELESS! :)


This is the famous Château de Chillon in Switzerland. It is one of the most breathtaking castles I've seen and I think that is largely because it sits directly off of Lake Geneva and has a gorgeous view of The Alps! It's been closed both times we have tried to tour it but hopefully we'll get the chance to go inside it soon.


I'll be able to add another castle to my list of experiences after tomorrow. Jared's company dinner party will be held at another castle here in Switzerland called Château de la Sarraz, pictured below. I'm so excited! :) I'll be sure to share details and photos after the event!





No comments:

Post a Comment