Friday, March 11, 2011

Hope Amidst Tragedy

We recently received terrible news that the cruise we had booked for our anniversary in November has been canceled because they felt it unsafe to travel to Egypt and Israel. I am so disappointed. I have dreamed of going to these places for such a long time and was very much looking forward to checking them off my "bucket list". But I was also sad because if it is unsafe for us to travel there then it is unsafe for the locals who live there. My heart and prayers go out to those caught up in the unrest going on in these countries.

 Not long after the news of the cruise cancellation I turned on CNN to find the devastation of the earthquake/tsunami that hit Japan was everywhere. I watched a video of collected footage from the aftermath, it had no audio - it didn't have to - what I saw would leave anyone speechless.



It looked like something out of movie. A horror movie. The water was continuing to move forcefully over the land and engulfing everything in its path. Homes were covered, buildings destroyed with people on roofs trying to avoid the rising waters, huge barges were overturned and were being thrown almost effortlessly by the waves - they looked more like toy boats rather than over-sized vessels. The images did not look real. But the reality of what had happened could not be ignored or wished away.

I instantly prayed. I prayed for everyone affected by the devastation. I prayed for safety of the survivors. I prayed that fear would be turned to humility. I prayed that the doubt would be turned to faith. Faith in these words: “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” (John 16:33)


There is peace even amidst the most devastating of circumstances because there is victory over misery through our Saviour, Jesus Christ. He has already saved us from certain destruction. When we believe in Him we have the hope and promise of escaping this life and living eternally with Him. My mind frequently returns to this verse because life can often seem hopeless and full of chaos and pain but knowing that the battle has already been won and our future is secure in Christ helps calm the soul.


My prayer is that in the light of recent tragedies you find peace in knowing God is in control even when the world seems to be out of control. He will rescue all of us from this world one day. Trust in that.

No comments:

Post a Comment